9500 East Vía de Ventura
Scottsdale, AZ 85256
The month of July will be chalk full of shark frenzied fun at OdySea Aquarium with the launch of our first ever “Jaw-some July”. With over forty sharks and nine different species living in the Aquarium, guests are invited to marvel at the largest and most diverse collection of sharks in Arizona. To celebrate Jaw-some July and the magnificent and mysterious shark we will be offering a variety of special programs, activities, and educational opportunities for guests that are free with admission from July 7-29th.
Event activities will include:
- Shark fun facts on exhibits throughout the Aquarium
- Shark Feeds scheduled for:
- Monday, Wednesday and Friday at 12:00 PM at Shark Waters
- Shark Feeds scheduled for
- Sunday, Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday at 3:30 PM at Deep Ocean
- Live Elasmobranch Presentation presented at Deep Ocean Theater about Rays and Sharks
- 10:00 AM, 11:15 AM, 1:45 PM, 4:45 PM, 5:45 PM daily
- Shark Month Photos at Kids Cove inside a shark jaw
- Shark Scavenger Hunt starting at the upper level at SeaTREK to collect Shark Trading Cards
- Limited Time Shark Photo from Magic Memories
- Shark themed cupcakes at the Lighthouse Café
Sharks4Kids returns July 16-20 featuring Educational programs about Shark Tagging at Deep Ocean Theater, Shark Conservation at Shark Window; Norman the Nurse Shark Book Reading at Deep Ocean Theater and Mock Shark Tagging for children. These programs will be offered three times daily.
Join the Sharks4Kids Team in a behind the scenes tour of Shark Waters and Shark Lab Dissection. Your tour will take you to the top of Shark Waters, one of our largest exhibits, where you’ll learn about the external anatomy of the magnificent and mysterious shark. Next, you’ll participate in an actual dissection on precut dogfish sharks! At the end of your experience you will receive an official Junior Shark Biologist Certificate.
Experience a live Shark Feed at the top of Shark Waters! Your tour will begin behind the scenes in the kitchen, learning about food prep and what’s on the menu for these apex predators. Next stop is at the top of Shark Waters, one of our largest exhibits, where you’ll learn about the delicate process used for transportation as well as the practices our Animal Care team takes when it comes to feeding these magnificent predators. Next, you’ll witness a LIVE feeding. To wrap up the tour we will go to our “Open Ocean” exhibit to discuss our Blacktip Reef Sharks and feeding practices of that exhibit.
Shark University will bring you behind the scenes for a fun and educational lecture experience presented by the Animal Care Team. We have three exciting topics for Jaw-some July.
- July 11th – Sharks on the Move presented by OdySea Aquarium Curator, Lance Ripley
- Learn the attention to details needed for Shark Transports
- July 18th – Science and Cameras of Shark Week presented by conservationist Jillian Morris and Duncan Brake of Sharks4Kids.
- Behind the Scenes look at what it takes to create and film a Shark Week special
- July 25th – Shark Evolution: Teeth Through Time presented by Animal Care Specialist Casey Brose
- Learn about hundreds of millions of years of shark evolution
In honor of Jaw-some July and our celebration of sharks, $5.00 from each Jaw-some July Encounter ticket will be donated to Shark Conservation and Education. OdySea Aquarium works closely with non-profit organizations such as Sharks4Kids and American Elasmobranch Society.