Amplifying Voices is a six-part virtual series presented by the Tucson JCC designed to help us explore the intersectional relationship between Black and Jewish identity and community.
The program is designed to create space for Jews of Color to share their experiences as both Jews and Black people and is available to anyone who would like to learn from an incredible panel of Black Jewish leaders and allies.
Full series lineup:
- Sun Nov 8 at 4 pm – They Ain’t Ready for Me: Black + Jewish on Chicago’s Southside with Tamar Manasseh and Todd Rockoff. Your ticket also includes access to screen the film “They Ain’t Ready for Me” in advance of the discussion.
- Wed Nov 18 at Noon – Jews of Color and Jewish Community Diversity. Join Ilana Kaufman, the Executive Director of the Jews of Color Field Building Initiative for a lunch, learn and discussion. There are an estimated 7.2 million Jews in the United States, and something like 1,000,000 identify as non-white People of Color. However, when we look at almost every Jewish organization and our communal imagery we see few if any Jews of Color. Framed by the notion that US Jews are part of a multiracial Jewish community, together we will explore the intersection of Jewish community/Identity/racial justice and equity.
- Sun Dec 6 at 10:30 am – Stories of Exclusion, Stories of Change. Panelists April Baskin, Gamal Palmer and Evan Traylor will be in a discussion moderated by Candace Manriquez Wrenn about their experiences as Jews of Color and sharing strategies to combat Racism and Anti-Semitism.
- Sun Jan 31 at 4 pm – Learning the Land, a Virtual Civil Rights Tour. Participate in a virtual Civil Rights Tour and interactive discussion with an emphasis on the cities of Birmingham, Montgomery and Selma with T. Marie King. Moderated by Samantha Dubrinsky.
- Sun Feb 21 at 4 pm – Musical Freedom Seder with Afro-Semitic Experience. Tune in to a musical Freedom Seder featuring the Afro-Semitic Experience in celebration of what unites the Jewish, Black, and Jewish-Black communities.
Throughout the series, participants will be encouraged to consider their own prejudices and to begin to construct solutions for bringing about a more just world. The Amplifying Voices series also gives participants space to celebrate what unites us as well as the diversity within our Tucson and global communities.
Each session of Amplifying Voices is offered with a suggested cost of $12 for members or $18 for the public. Sliding scale pricing is available; no one will be turned away for lack of funds. Please email email@example.com with questions. To register, visit tucsonjcc.org/amplifying-voices-series.
Zoom links will be emailed 36 hours in advance of each event.