During Discovery Channel’s Shark Week, celebrate sharks LIVE at OdySea Aquarium, home to one of the largest and most diverse collections in the country. With over 50 sharks and 14 different species, OdySea Aquarium is a fin-tastic place to see and learn about these majestic creatures. OdySea will offer a variety of special programs, activities, and educational opportunities from July 12 – 18, including daily special appearances from a Discovery Channel Shark Week star, Dr. James Sulikowski.
Special Shark Activities include:
- Dr. James Sulikowski, Professor and Associate Director at Arizona State University, founder of the Sulikowski Fish and Shark Lab, and star of Discovery Channel’s Shark Week 2021 shows MotherSharker and Return to Shark Vortex, will showcase his priceless shark artifacts, and give short presentations highlighting his shark research (executed in-part with OdySea Aquarium) along with footage of his real-life shark/ocean adventures. Presentations take place in the Deep Ocean Gallery daily at 12 pm, 1 pm, and 2 pm.
- Divers performing underwater shark ultrasounds for guests to observe
- Shark Target Feedings taking place in Deep Ocean Gallery and Shark Waters
- Touch Pool Shark Feedings
- Stingray Bay with a Zebra Shark
- Stingray Shores with an Epaulette Shark and Bamboo Shark
- Shark Trading Cards available for kids
- Jaw-some Scavenger Hunt for guests throughout the Aquarium
- Megalodon Shark Teeth photo opportunities
- Guests can book a SeaTREK experience and go in the water with a shark
- Guests can swim (virtually) with sharks in the VR Pod (virtual reality) experience
“The week of shark activities at OdySea Aquarium is about awareness and engagement, so that we may all contribute to improving the health of both our oceans and the sharks that call it home,” said Dave Peranteau, Director of Animal Care and Conservation at OdySea Aquarium. “Events at aquariums across the country and programming like ‘Shark Week’ on Discovery Channel and other networks are necessary so we can shift the public sentiment toward sharks. OdySea Aquarium is highlighting sharks so people can better understand them —with less fear and more knowledge of their importance to the ocean.”
There are more than 500 species of sharks swimming in the world’s oceans. They range in size from the length of a human hand to more than 39 feet long; half of all shark species are about three feet long. They come in a variety of colors, and some feed on tiny plankton while others prefer larger fish and squids. They are found in just about every kind of ocean habitat, including the deep sea, open ocean, coral reefs, and under the Arctic ice.
OdySea Aquarium’s 50+ sharks of 14 species can be seen in a variety of exhibits throughout the building. Visit OdySea Aquarium to learn more about each jaw-some species.
- Sand Tiger shark
- Sandbar shark
- Lemon shark
- Nurse shark
- Black Tip shark
- White Tip shark
- Blacknose shark
- California leopard shark
- Epaulette shark
- Brown-banded Bamboo shark
- White Spotted Bamboo shark
- Ornate Wobegon shark
- Bonnet Head shark
- Zebra shark
Special shark programming at OdySea Aquarium runs July 12 – 18. Outside of the SeaTREK experience, all other activities are included in admission to the Aquarium. To purchase admission tickets, visit odyseaaquarium.com.