Shalom bayit is the Jewish religious concept of domestic harmony and good relations between husband and wife. In a Jewish court of law, shalom bayit is the Hebrew term for marital reconciliation.
While the ongoing order of “stay at home,” for many has meant hunkering down with their loved ones and playing games and watching Netflix, for others it has meant increased fear as their home is not their sanctuary, but a place of violence and abuse.
It’s understandable if we all have moments when we’re heartbroken, frustrated and scared, but sometimes under extreme stress situations worsen.
If you or someone you know –be it a child, adult or senior – is feeling afraid or threatened, please reach out to one of these resources.
Jewish Family & Children’s Service jfcsaz.org/programs-services/domestic-violence-victim-assistance
- Shelter referrals if needed
- Housing locators
- Legal lay advocacy services
- Crime victim information and referrals
Arizona Coalition to End Sexual and Domestic Violence: www.azcadv.org
- Formed in 1980. Provides services to those who are victims or survivors of domestic violence.
Maricopa County Attorney’s Victim Services division: maricopacountyattorney.org/35/Victims
- Victims can seek notification, restitution and compensation
- Victims can report crimes to this office
The Arizona Department of Economic Security’s Domestic Violence Program: des.az.gov/services/basic-needs/domestic-violence-program
- Works with Arizona Coalition to End Sexual and Domestic Violence
- Provides housing interventions, shelter and “community based advocacy”
- A shelter and safe house located in north Phoenix
- Operates 24 hours a day
Child Crisis Arizona: childcrisisaz.org
- Emergency children’s shelter that provides meals, clothing and medical access
- Funded by donors, serving families in Maricopa County for 40 years
A New Leaf: turnanewleaf.org/services/domestic-violence.html
- East Valley and West Valley shelters for domestic violence
- 120 days of emergency shelter
DeColores: (602) 269-1515
- Provides food, clothing, case management
- Located in northwest Phoenix
Against Abuse: against-abuse.org
- A non-profit formed in 1981
- Provides social services in Pinal County
Arizona Adult Protective Services (APS) and Elder Abuse Hotline caregiver.org/arizona-adult-protective-services-aps-and-elder-abuse-hotline
- Anyone can make a report about suspected abuse to the Hotline 877-767-2385 (877-SOS-ADULT
- Adults age 60 or older and adults with disabilities